Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Survive

She always cooked when worried. I watched her standing in the kitchen mashing the potatoes, studying her face.
"I" I paused as I walked over to her "can't believe you let him..."
"Don't start" she said as she turned towards me.
"No! I can't keep watching you with that," I pointed to her face and her arm, "shit happening all the time."
"Look he loves me. That's all that matters"
"No Suzie that's not love"
"Adam treated you no better"
"But," I pointed to myself "I took a stand."
"Who cares?"
I stepped closer "I do"
"Well obviously not if my happiness isn't important to you"
"You can not be happy with Adam" I said as I crossed my arms "Not when he treats you like this, believe me I know."
"You don't know me"
"I know you better than you know yourself"
She turned and looked back at the potatoes.
"and that scares you don't it" I said
"Shut up, you're a child, you don't understand."
"I don't understand? I've been through it too. The girls in the village warned you when you started dating him, but no you just had to date a man who is 20 years your senior. I can't believe you let him touch you."
"Just let it go"
"No, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind."
"No!"  She grabbed my arm. "That will only make it worse"
She stared at the ground and I could see the bruises darkening her cheekbone along with the ones wringing her neck and arms. After a few minutes she finally released me.
I looked at her round belly " you know he's why you keep losing your babies"
She turned away again and I could see her shoulders shaking
"How many miscarriages are you going to have to put yourself through before you realize you have to get out of there Suzie"   I came over and laid my hand gently on her shoulder "Suzie?"
"I know," She said in a whisper so soft it took a second to process. "but how?"
The door slammed open and even I jumped.
"Who are you talking to," Adam yelled.
I could see the vein on his forehead pulsing. "Oh shut up Adam"
"Well?" Adam said as he approached Suzie
"N..noone.." Suzie stuttered. "Just making dinner"
I rolled my eyes "God, Suzie, get a backbone."
Adam smirked "Good girl." He kissed her forehead "I'll set the table."
Suzie visibly shook as she turned back to the potatoes. "Thank you"
Adam grabbed a couple plates and a set of silverware before exiting the kitchen.
I scoffed "You're pathetic. You're letting him get to you."
Suzie turned towards me. "Just go away. You aren't even real." she whispered.
"No I'm who you should be, instead of this simpering little bitch you've become."
"Just shush, I'll talk to him okay?"
"Fine."
Suzie went into the dining room with the potatoes, Adam was sitting there drinking his whiskey.
"Get me more will ya?" Adam said
"N...No." Suzie said
"Atta girl" I said as I sat at the empty barstool. "You can do it."
"What you say?" Adam said as he stood up.
"I'm s..sorry, I'll get it right away." Suzie said as she grabbed his glass and went to the kitchen.
I followed her. "Seriously? You suck. I'm even sick of you. Either do something or don't, but  if you let this continue you'll die here, and so will that baby."
Suzie crossed to the cupboard and brushed some of the arsenic that they left out for the rats, into the glass. She turned back and filled the glass. "No I can't"
"Oh come on he deserves worse than death for all he's done to you. You're doing him a favor."
"But I'll be hung, a womans only place is to take care of her husband"
"Which is what you're doing," I came closer. "just taking care of him. You can say it must have been in the glass. No one will ever know."
"But.." Suzie started as the kitchen door opened again.
"God woman! I can't send you to do the smallest of tasks can I?" Adam said as he reached for his drink.
"No don't!" Suzie said as she reached for the glass.
Adam pushed her arm away before slapping her hard enough to make her fall. "You just want me to hit you don't you."
"No...Please don't" Suzie said as she cowered.
Adam kicked her. "Why did you try to take my drink woman."
"I just haven't put ice in it yet," I said as I stood and reached for the handle on the ice box.

No comments:

Post a Comment