Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Through The Glass

My breath fogged the window forcing me to wipe the glass. The snow switched directions and the deep rich aroma of hazelnut coffee poured through my nostrils causing me to breathe the icy air deeper into my lungs. I could see a young girl smiling as a plate of hot honey-covered croissants came to sit in front of her. I felt my stomach roll in turmoil as I licked my already chapped lips and dug in my pocket thinking maybe I had missed another quarter. The two quarters' shiny faces sat in my gloved hand, mocking me, and I looked at the menu above the counter, hoping maybe it had changed. A tray of white capped gooey cinammon rolls teetered in a waitress's hands and I found myself praying one would fall so I could have just a bite of the flaky confection. The old man who ate in the corner every Wednesday brought a bite of fluffy pancakes covered in a creamy maple syrup, whipped cream, and strawberries to his lips. I leaned against the window, feeling the cold glass press on the tip of my nose. Again my breath blurred the vision and I sighed. I looked once more at the scene before venturing back out into the night, stuffing the two coins back into my pocket and burying my hands in the slight warmth there.

No comments:

Post a Comment